Hi, I’m Jeda
I’m a Scottish Jamaican writer and poet based in Scotland
My work often traverses/reflects the ‘in between’ and explores the intersections of belonging, disability, secrecy and survival.
I mostly write poetry, fiction and occasionally create multidisciplinary work.
I also love arts programming, collaborative projects and helping develop community platforms.
Inspiration for my work comes from many places…
- The musicality of my family’s shared languages, Scots, Geordie, Jamaican Patios
- Science fiction, the fantastical, surreal, eccentric, weird and unexpected
- Superstitions, folklore and unsettling, twisted fairytales
- Untold and hidden histories
- Highlighting people and stories from underrepresented communities
- Life in all its rough and tough edges, incredible beauty and everything in between
- The wilds of parenthood
- Creativity in all its forms and so many amazing writers and artists…
A new poetry anthology featuring contemporary writers in Scotland on names, language and identity; edited by Samina Chaudhry, Marcas Mac an Tuairneir and Rebecca Sharp.
Reflecting on our Caribbean roots, sharing our stories of life in Scotland and dreaming into our futures – an exhibition and printed anthology.
4/APR/2023 Performance at Edinburgh Science Festival Late Lab ‘A Night in the Stars’ to celebrate the James Webb Space Telescope.
Jeda Pearl (she/her) is a Scottish Jamaican writer and artist based in Edinburgh, Scotland. Her work often traverses/reflects the ‘in between’ and explores the intersections of be/longing, (intergenerational) memory, illness and disability, secrecy and survival. In 2022, she was shortlisted for the Sky Arts RSL Award and longlisted for the Women Poets’ Prize. Art installations include Windrush Legacy Creative Reflections (2023), Caledonian Biotech Library, 3033 (Scottish Storytelling Centre, 2022) and Acts of Observation (Collective, 2021). Performances include StAnza, Hidden Door, Push the Boat Out, Cymera and Edinburgh International Book Festival. Her poems and short stories are published by New Writing Scotland, Open Book, Not Going Back to Normal, Shoreline of Infinity, Aesthetica, and Peepal Tree Press. @JedaPearl jedapearl.com.
Contact Jeda for readings, panels, writing workshops, creative collaborations or her writing CV.