Hi, I’m Jeda
I’m a Scottish Jamaican writer and poet based in Scotland
My work often traverses/reflects the ‘in between’ and explores the intersections of belonging, disability, secrecy and survival.
I mostly write poetry, fiction and occasionally create multidisciplinary work.
I also love arts programming, collaborative projects and helping develop community platforms.
Inspiration for my work comes from many places…
- The musicality of my family’s shared languages, Scots, Geordie, Jamaican Patios
- Science fiction, the fantastical, surreal, eccentric, weird and unexpected
- Superstitions, folklore and unsettling, twisted fairytales
- Untold and hidden histories
- Highlighting people and stories from underrepresented communities
- Life in all its rough and tough edges, incredible beauty and everything in between
- The wilds of parenthood
- Creativity in all its forms and so many amazing writers and artists…
a nature poem calling within and without on what we may need to move through the year
10/ 17/ 24/ and 31/JAN/2023 A series of four free online workshops on digital presence for artists, creative practitioners and arts organisations based in Scotland.
7/JAN/2023 Online launch for Glimpse, the first anthology of speculative fiction by Black British writers, from Peepal Tree Press.
Jeda Pearl is a Scottish Jamaican writer and artist. Poetry performances include StAnza, Push the Boat Out, and Edinburgh International Book Festival. She was longlisted for the Women Poets’ Prize 2022 and awarded Cove Park’s 2019 Emerging Writer Residency (fiction). She has works published/commissioned by Black Lives Matter Mural Trail, Not Going Back to Normal – Disabled Artists Manifesto, Shoreline of Infinity, Scottish Storytelling Centre, galleries Rhubaba and Collective, and Peepal Tree Press. @JedaPearl jedapearl.com
Contact Jeda for readings, panels, writing workshops, creative collaborations or her writing CV.